Thursday, April 8, 2010

Doom Patrol #9 review

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I described last issue as my favourite issue yet.

I think this one is the funniest.

Now, this series has had a lot of funny lines. Almost anything out of Larry's mouth, and no end of humorous moments and actions. However, this issue's humour provides a stark contrast to the seriousness of the action taking place, and Giffen blends this wonderfully, making light of the potential end of this world, as only the Doom Patrol can. Giffen set the "humour bar" high last issue - I think he exceeded the expectations with this one.

Furthermore, this was an issue of progress. Something BIG happens with Larry's powers - and I'm surprised no writer has thought of it before. A very welcome.......addition........ to Larry's powers. And there are also some big.......err.........small.......changes with Danny to look forward to, as well.

I won't say much about the final page except that you should check out the badge. Good work, creative team!

Which brings me to the art side of things - once again, I have no qualms with the artwork. Everything is clear and colourful, and some pages were outright amazing. Matthew Clark and Ron Randall blend seamlessly, and it's reassuring to see the Doom Patrol in such good hands.

Looking forward to the next issue already..............

5/5. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment